Re: Build system output suggestion

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:36:34PM +0100, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
> These *** messages make the scons output difficult to skim over:
>
> Checking for scotch... no (pkg-config file not found)
>  Trying to generate pkg-config file for scotch... failed
>  *** Unable to generate a suitable pkg-config file for scotch.
>  *** If scotch is present on your system, try setting the SCOTCH_DIR
>  *** environment variable to the directory where scotch is installed.
>
> In particular when several such messages are combined. What about
> collecting them and printing the instructions for all environment
> variables at the end? Much like the already implemented
>
> Unable to find optional package: scotch
> Unable to find optional package: gts
>
> We could for example have just
>
> Checking for scotch... no (pkg-config file not found)
>  Trying to generate pkg-config file for scotch... failed
> Checking for gts... no (pkg-config file not found)
>  Trying to generate pkg-config file for gts... failed
>
> where it is now, and add at the end something like:
>
> If any of
>   scotch
>   gts
> are present on your system, try setting one or more of the
>   SCOTCH_DIR
>   GTS_DIR
> environment variables to the directory where the respective library is
> installed.

I agree it is a little annoying. For example, I currently don't have
SLEPc installed, but I don't want to be reminded about it every time
I compile something. Is there another way to handle this?

Perhaps at the end of the list of "Unable to find..." we could do
something like this:

Unable to find optional package: scotch
Unable to find optional package: gts
For instructions on how to enable these packages, see Foo.

where Foo could be README or scons/README or whatever?