Re: Simple questions about simula-scons

Hi Johan,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Johan Jansson <jjan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  Great that the SCons build system is getting up and running. Just some
>  simple questions about it: What is simula-scons? Is it a fork of SCons,
>  or addons to SCons, or DOLFIN-specific addons? Is the intent to remain
>  interface-compatible to SCons?

Simula-scons is addons to SCons. We are not changing any of the
internals of SCons, just helping SCons out mostly during the configure
phase where we found SCons to be not so good.

The concept of scons.cfg files, though, is a simula-scons specific
thing. The regular SCons way of doing things is putting SConscript
files everywhere, but these could be a bit tricky to write and most of
the content can be generalized anyway. So, we figured out a simpler
concept for e.g. module-developers in PyCC or Dolfin, based on the
scons.cfg files.

Simula-scons is today used by Dolfin, PyCC, and tritetgen (or what it
is called, Johan Hake stuff). It is also the intention to use
simula-scons for SyFI.

As a start, we will try to establish simula-scons as a separate
project, with a separate repository, roadmap, and a webpage probably
at fenics.org. In the longer run, we will see if more things can be
integrated in the upstream SCons, maybe using the Tool concept in
SCons. We don't have specific plans on this, though.

>  It looks like great functionality, I'm just curious about the intent of
>  the project.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask more,
and I will try to clarify!

Åsmund