Re: SCons and PETSc

PETSc is not needed for DOLFIN. I would be inclined to not have DOLFIN depend on petsc-dev. The Debian petsc package has historically not been very up-to-date, plus a user will typically want a 'customised' version of PETSc with particular external packages. Moreover, if the Debian version of PETSc isn't built to use UMFPACK, then most of the DOLFIN demos will be dead slow because the PETSc LU solver is not very good.
I agree, but updates were made for Hardy, and Johannes ported this to Gutsy, and it worked. For know, dolfin (Debian package) does not depend on petsc-dev. petsc-dev depends on libsuitesparse (umfpack).

Anyway, the solution discussed earlier seems to solve our problems.

ilmar