Re: Speed up of build system

On Thu, May 8, 2008 Anders Logg wrote:
> When running scons in DOLFIN, it always takes a while to get through
> the step
>
>   Resolving compiler...
>
> What does this step do, and can we speed it up, for example by caching
> the value from a previous run?

The resolve compiler step runs a test for every external dependency
package to make sure that the selected compiler can be used by each of
them. If a test fails for package foo, then this package will be discarded
unless it specifies a compiler (like PETSc). In that case, this compiler
will be tested on all the other external dependencies and if all the tests
passes, that compiler will be used and foo will not be discarded.

On my laptop, the resolve compiler step takes about 2 seconds. I think it
will be quite hard to speed this up significantly. Perhaps we instead
could add an option to disable this step when we know that the selected
compiler will work for all external dependencies that are enabled?

Johannes