Re: profiling an assembly

On Sat 2008-05-17 13:50, Murtazo Nazarov wrote:
> There is a MatSetOption in PETSc, MAT_USE_HASH_TABLE, to take care what
> exactly I would like to have. But, that option does not work with AIJ
> format we are using in dolfin.

I just stumbled upon this paper.  Since they use matrices with random structure,
it is not clear how much performance difference would carry over, but it does
show that large gains may be possible by assembling in a hashed format.

@article{aspnas2007eas,
  title={{Efficient Assembly of Sparse Matrices Using Hashing}},
  author={Aspnas, M. and Signell, A. and Westerholm, J.},
  journal={Lecture Notes in Computer Science},
  volume={4699},
  pages={900},
  year={2007},
  publisher={Springer}