Re: DofMapSet design

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:26:07PM +0200, Niclas Jansson wrote:

> The code could be fetched from
>
> http://www.csc.kth.se/~njansson/dolfin-2008-08-14.tar.bz2
>
> Requires PETSc and parmetis, (customLinkFlags = '-lmetis -lparmetis')
>
> DofMap::build don't construct a global dofmap. It reorders the map in
> order to minimize communication during assembly.
> The global dofmap is obtained from the ordinary tabulate_dofs call.
>
> Niclas

I think it looks good.

As far as I understand, you build a global numbering of all mesh
entities (which may be different from the local numbering on each
processor), and then the (global parallel) local-to-global mapping
follows from tabulate_dofs just as usual.

So, the difference is that you build a global numbering of the mesh
entities, and we wanted to build a global numbering of the dofs. The
only advantage I can see with our approach is that it may use less
memory, since we don't need to store an extra numbering scheme for all
mesh entities but this not a big deal.

A few questions:

1. Is the above interpretation correct?

2. Is there a simple example that I can run to test. The code built
fine but I didn't find any demo.

3. Does the partitioning require that one processor reads the entire mesh
and then sends it to ParMetis?

4. Is the extra storage dynamic? If only vertices are needed (for P1
elements), then we only need to store extra vertex numbers.

5. MeshRenumber seems specific to triangles and tets. Can it be done
without reference to specific entities with special cases put in
CellType?

6. Does it work for assembly over interior facets (like in DG
methods)?

7. Is it possible to make it work with SCOTCH (in addition to
ParMetis)?

Then some suggestions:

1. I'd like to move the implementation of DofMap::build() to
DofMapBuilder (to simplify DofMap.cpp).

2. Function names should be fooBar(), not foo_bar().

3. There needs to be some #ifdef HAS_PARMETIS so it may be built
without Parmetis.

4. I'd like to add a new class GlobalNumbering (to replace
MeshDistributedData) that holds the global numbering scheme.

The Mesh class can have a pointer to a GlobalNumbering object which is
0 by default so no extra data (or at least not more than 4 bytes) is
stored when not running in parallel.

Then we can add a function MeshEntity::number() which returns the same
as index() if GlobalNumbering is 0. Otherwise, it returns what is
stored in GlobalNumbering.

GlobalNumbering can have an array of MeshFunctions, one for each
topological dimension, that maps the local entity indices to their
global numbers.

Thus, a MeshEntity will have two functions index() and number().
These will return the same value in sequential and possibly different
values in parallel.

Let's await some more comments and then get started. It would be nice
to get it in small patches to give us an opportunity to comment/edit.
Adding GlobalNumbering and MeshEntity::number() would be a good start.