Re: Applying Dirichlet conditions by removing degrees of freedom (was [Fwd: Re: [HG DOLFIN] merge])

On Tue 2008-08-19 13:40, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:12:50PM +0200, Jed Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't this problematic? I want the entire vector visible externally
> > > (and not the homogeneous part). It would make it difficult to plot
> > > solutions, saving to file etc.
> > >
> > > Maybe the Function class could handle the wrapping but it would involve a
> > > complication.
> >
> > Right, by `externally visible' I mean to the solution process, that is
> > time-stepping, nonlinear solver, linear solvers, preconditioners.  The
> > vector you are concerned about is the post-processed state which you can
> > get with zero communication.  It is inherently tied to the mesh and
> > anything you do with it likely needs to know mesh connectivity.  I don't
> > think it is advantageous to lump this in with the global state vector.
> >
> > Jed
>
> I don't understand. What is the global state vector?

The global state vector is the vector that the solution process sees.
Every entry in this vector is a real degree of freedom (Dirichlet
conditions have been removed).  This is the vector used for computing
norms, applying matrices, etc.  When writing a state to a file, this
global vector is scattered to a local vector and boundary conditions are
also scattered into the local vector.  The local vector is serialized
according to ownership of the mesh (you have to do this anyway).

Jed