Re: trilinos demo: applying bc's

On Aug 22, 2008, at 3:09 AM, Anders Logg wrote:

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 09:58:17AM +0200, Kent-Andre Mardal wrote:
On to., 2008-08-21 at 14:14 -0500, Catherine Micek wrote:
On Aug 20, 2008, at 2:18 AM, Kent-Andre Mardal wrote:

On ti., 2008-08-19 at 14:59 -0500, Catherine Micek wrote:
Hi,

I have been looking at demo3.py in the dolfin demos in "sandbox/ la/ trilinos/", which solves the Stokes system using preconditioners and an iterative solver. I can follow the code until it gets to applying
the boundary conditions:

# apply bc
for bc in bcs:
     bc.apply(A00, b0, a00)
     bc.zero(A01, a00)

Why do you apply the second command as "bc.zero(A01, a00)?" I would
have guessed something more like "bc.zero(A01, a01)."  Perhaps the
better question is more general: how do the bc.apply and bc.zero
commands work?

Thanks!
Katy

bc.apply(A00, b0, a00)
will set the Dirichlet boundary conditions by seting
the part of A00 on the boundary to the identity and put
the boundary conditions in b0.

bc.zero(A01, a00) will zero out the part on the boundary.

Together these to commands create an identity matrix for
the part on the boundary for the block matrix.

I have some follow-up questions on applying boundary conditions in
the Trilinos demo.

1.  To enforce boundary conditions, the code

# No-slip boundary condition for velocity
bc0 = DirichletBC(noslip, sub_domains, 0)

# Inflow boundary condition for velocity
bc1 = DirichletBC(inflow, sub_domains, 1)

# Collect boundary conditions
bcs = [bc0, bc1]

is used.  I don't understand why we don't tell Dolfin where to apply
the boundary conditions with something like

bc0 = DirichletBC(noslip, sub_domains, 0, velocity)
bc1 = DirichletBC(inflow, sub_domains, 1, velocity)

Why isn't it necessary to specify the velocity?

Can someone comment on this, I have only copied the code from the other
stokes demos.

Kent

I was hoping you would comment so I wouldn't have to. :-)

In the standard Stokes demo in DOLFIN, the system is solved as one
big system (with three components and two subsystems). Then we need to
specify which subsystem a bc should be applied to.

In your Stokes demo, you have already split the system in two, so then
you just need to apply the velocity bc to the velocity system and the
pressure bc to the pressure system (and make sure to zero out the
offdiagonals correctly). Then solve it as a block system.

This helps -- thanks!