Re: Function and DofMap

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:53:09PM +0200, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2008 21:45:27 Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:

> > > I think this is ok. There are many ways to create a segfault in C++.
> > > If you program in C++, you will have to think about memory.

> > > I want the syntax to be simple and pretty, but I don't necessarily
> > > want to hide the user from problems that are part of the design of
> > > C++. It isn't Python or Java. You should be expected to know what
> > > you are doing. :-)
> >
> > It's not only about knowing what you're doing. It forces very
> > hard restrictions on the design/flow of your program, which can
> >
> > 1) Be a major source of bugs in nontrivial apps (see Garths email), which
> > are not locally visible because they depend on the global program flow.
> >
> > 2) Make it impossible to initialize e.g. Function in e.g a file reader,
> > since the caller of the file reader would need to get the objects
> > Function depends on. This is not limited to file readers, but is
> > a recurring pattern in nontrivial apps.
> >
> > If we want to use dolfin or want dolfin to be used in apps that
> > are more complicated than the traditional "read input, compute
> > something, output something" app, these restrictions become
> > a larger problem.
> >
> > > Anyway, I like the idea about having a FunctionSpace class which
> > > several Functions may share. The problem we need to solve is
> > > reading from file:
> > >
> > >  FunctionSpace V(mesh);
> > >  Function u(V);
> > >  file >> u;
> > >
> > > The last line just fills out the data in both u and V.
> > >
> > > This will lead to side effects as V might be changed when doing
> > >
> > >  FunctionSpace V(mesh);
> > >  Function u(V);
> > >  Function v(V);
> > >  file >> u;
> > >
> > > V will be changed, both for u and v. In fact, the mesh will also be
> > > changed.
> > >
> > > The best thing would be if we could do
> > >
> > >  file >> (mesh, V, u);
> >
> > This is _exactly_ the kind of issue that smart pointers solve.
> >
> > Btw, I tried to search the swig documentation for shared_ptr, and
> > found nothing...
> > I don't know what exactly they mean by "shared_ptr support".
>
> It seems to be a set of typemaps that should kick in at the "right places".
> They are defined in
>
>    <Lib/python/boost_shared_ptr.i>
>
> and used very rudimentary in
>
>   <Examples/test_suite/li_boost_shared_ptr.i>
>
> in the source tree of the 1.3.36 release. It seems that it is not specific for
> boost::share_ptr but should also figure out tr1::shared_ptr
>
> I think:
>
>   %include <boost_shared_ptr.i>
>
> at the appropriate place should do the trick.
>
> Johan

I was about to start sketching on a FunctionSpace class when I
realized that this class might look different for different types of
Functions.

In particular, some functions (DiscreteFunctions) need to have a
dof map and a finite element, while this is not needed for other
functions.

This means that we might need to duplicate the hierarchy of different
function classes in a number of different function space classes.

I see two other options:

1. Require that a function space consists of

  mesh, finite_element, dof_map

and pick a suitable (trivial) dof map for example constant functions.

2. Implement a number of different function space classes but have a
single Function class which holds data but where each function call
is passed on to the specific type of function call in the
corresponding function space class.