Re: [HG DOLFIN] Add sketch of FunctionSpace class

Anders Logg wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:51:41PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
I don't agree, isn't the point that several DiscreteFunctions can
share a FunctionSpace?

Yes, but a dof map doesn't define a function space.

Garth

I think the dof map should be in the FunctionSpace, that way several
functions may share the dof map (which may take time to compute if we
want to do some reordering).

Two functions in the same function space share the mesh, the element
and the dof map (these three define the space) but each function has
its own vector.

My point isn't that a DofMap won't shared, it's that it's not part of the definition of a function space.

It always possible that two discrete functions which are equivalent can share a mesh and finite element (which defines the function space), but have different vectors and dof maps.

I added the FiniteElement class to avoid exposing ufc:: classes
directly. We do the same for ufc::dof_map (but then we have a reason).
It might not be necessary, but it looked more uniform to have

  (Mesh, FiniteElement, DofMap)

instead of

  (Mesh, ufc::finite_element, DofMap)

Sure. I just can't find where FiniteElement is defined?