Re: [HG DOLFIN] Add note about not using assemble_system until we have worked out a bug

kent-and@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 06:46:23PM +0100, kent-and@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 05:24:33PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
DOLFIN wrote:
One or more new changesets pushed to the primary dolfin repository.
A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.

changeset:   5192:cae1753335d21eddc205e16ed3ac3cef16462454
tag:         tip
user:        Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
date:        Thu Nov 20 18:22:47 2008 +0100
files:       site-packages/dolfin/pde.py
Add note about not using assemble_system until we have worked out a
bug
with integration over exterior facets.

Is this also a C++ issue?

Garth
I haven't tried but I suspect it is.

The error can be tested easily with the following script which is a
version of a script Harish just sent me:

from dolfin import *

mesh = UnitSquare(2, 2)
element = FiniteElement("Lagrange", "triangle", 1)

v = TestFunction(element)
u = TrialFunction(element)
n = FacetNormal("triangle", mesh)

a = v*u*dx
L = v*dot(n, n)*ds

# Does not work (b will be 0)
(A, b) = assemble_system(a, L, [], mesh)
b.disp()

# Works (b will be nonzero)
b = assemble(L, mesh)
b.disp()

b is not zero for me (dolfin-0.8.1).

Kent
Are both bs nonzero? Or just the last?

Sorry, just the last. I see DG is broken as well. I probably need to
have a look at this function and break it up.

I think that the development version works for DG. I spent some time fixing it.

I was tempted to break up the function, but since it's faster than the standard assembly we should code a broken up version next to the monolithic function so that we can benchmark it.

Garth

Kent