Re: Use of share_ptr in PyDOLFIN

Johan Hake wrote:
On Thursday 20 November 2008 23:47:39 Garth N. Wells wrote:
Johan Hake wrote:
Hello!

I have worked on getting shared_ptr to work in PyDOLFIN. I have it runnig
on my computer but it will require some changes to the code, so I ask the
list if anyone have any thought about it.

Using shared_ptr in PyDOLFIN let us converge the interfaces evenmore.
E.g. we can instantiate a dolfin::FiniteElement using a
shared_ptr<ufc::finite_element>.

I am not sure at this moment if there are any more imediate benefits with
it. Some memory issues we have had before is still around, e.g., we need
to keep track of some references to not letting them be collected by
swig. I would consider this a bug, but I do not know how's it is :)

swig -version >= 1.3.34 supports share_ptr's. It is easy to add an ifdef
in the interface file so the wrapper code for the shared_ptr won't be
produced for earlier version of swig.

Even if swig in their documentation claim that one can use
std::tr1::shared_ptr, I found a bug which proves different.
I saw a while ago in the swig ChangeLog that shared_ptr fixes were
incorporated into the swig release following the first release
supporting shared_ptr. Do these help?

I have the latest release 1.3.36 and the bug is still in svn trunk.

OK.

So I wonder if it is desireable to add shared_ptr for PyDOLFIN, if so we
either have to:

  1) change to boost::shared_ptr in the whole code
How does this help?

The wrapper code works with boost::share_ptr. I have checked with dolfin by temporarily changing all std::tr1::share_ptr to boost::share_ptr.

So swig can wrap boost::shared_ptr and not std::tr1::shared_ptr? If we need shared_ptr in the Python interface, we could add a typedef/typename (whatever it is that you need for a templated class) so we can switch easily.

  2) patch swig and wait for upstream changes, and still use
     std::tr1::shared_ptr

2 is probably not likely though.

If we do not enable shared_ptr for PyDOLFIN we have to add some
constructors taking references in addition to shared_ptr in the code.
I thought that we pretty much had this already. Which classes need extra
constructors?

We need at least one in FiniteElement.

You have it now. I just added it.

Garth

This seems to me to be the easiest solution until the swig support for shared_ptr matures.