Re: [HG DOLFIN] Extend FunctionSpace constructor to handle simple initialization like

2008/11/26 DOLFIN <dolfin@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> One or more new changesets pushed to the primary dolfin repository.
> A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.
>
> changeset:   5205:64dce861eecc204ed5527b0fda5574d2cd836ac6
> tag:         tip
> user:        Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
> date:        Wed Nov 26 16:11:23 2008 +0100
> files:       demo/pde/poisson/python/demo.py site-packages/dolfin/function.py site-packages/dolfin/functionspace.py
> Extend FunctionSpace constructor to handle simple initialization like
>
>  V = FunctionSpace(mesh, "Lagrange", 1)
>
> No need anymore to create elements in PyDOLFIN, except when mixed elements
> are used.
>
> It would be good to support some simple creation of vector-valued function
> spaces. How should this look? One option could be
>
>  V = VectorFunctionSpace(mesh, "Lagrange", 1)
>
> ?

It doesn't make sense to have two different ways to do this, it only
makes special cases slightly more compact at the cost of more
confusion about how to do things. I say _either_ the function space
_always_ takes an element as input, _or_ the function space hierarchy
mirrors the entire finite element hierarchy, including
TensorFunctionSpace and MixedFunctionSpace.

--
Martin