Re: plot.py

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 09:27:04PM -0300, Ola Skavhaug wrote:
> What's the purpose of dolfin_plot? It just calls viper_plot for all
> types, except when the object is unknown, in which case it tries
>  to project something, without knowing what it is. This should be put
> into viper instead of in this almost empty wrapper. What is the type
> of object if project can handle it?

The type of object is any expression like grad(u), u + u, div(u) etc.
but it can also be anything else (like an int or float) that FFC can
interpret as a Form. The easiest test is probably the one that's there
now in plot.py (try: project).

> The case viper is not available, I guess you need some logic anyway.
> Plot muting when an environment variable is set could be placed in
> viper, but that would only be a duplicate of what you need anyway, so
> I suggest you keep that (or a better version of the IgnorePlot).

It would be helpful if there were an environment variable, perhaps
NOPLOT that Viper looked at. Then we can remove that part too from the
wrapper. Maybe it's also good for Viper to have a plotless mode for
unit testing?

The release of DOLFIN 0.9.0 is planned to come out today, so it would
be good if we could wait with any changes in the interface until after
the release.

Can you make a Viper release today that matches the current DOLFIN?
There have been a few bug fixes since last time I think. There will
also be a new FFC release. Then Johannes can make a release of
fenics-2009-01. :-)