Re: binary file format

Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:45:30AM +0100, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
We just discussed that in another thread, and the answer from
everybody is yes please, that would be nice. XML file with metadata +
raw files with arrays is one solution. And of course, there are many
standardized file formats we could support in time for communication
with external tools.

How about sticking everything into the XML file but with some suitable
tags:

I think that this is what Martin is suggesting. VTK has a file format like this (although with binary content it is no longer strictly XML as far as I understand).

Garth

  <dolfin>
    <vector size="..." format="binary>
      <binary type="..." size="...">stick binary data here</binary>
    </vector>
  </dolfin>

?