Re: error estimation

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:40:16AM -0700, Bartosz Sawicki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have any of you, some experience with posteriori error estimation in
> Dolfin? I'm playing with adaptive refinement techniques, where proper
> error estimation is essential.
> I try to use form language with discontinous Lagrange elements to
> describe error, but the results are somehow strange.
> I found that in Unicorn there are some error estimation code, but I
> can't find any application of it or any example? Is this code working?
>
> regrd.
> BArtek

What is currently missing is the ability to evaluate integrands over
cells and facets and not adding the results. This is a fairly
straightforward extension of our current assembly algorithms and it's
partly there already (additional argument values to assemble_cells).

In the meantime, it's possible to evaluate at least the cell
contribution by multiplying with a DG test function. We do this all
the time and it works fine.

There will be much improved support for a posteriori error estimation
in future versions, including automated generation of dual problems
and error estimators as part of UFL, although I can't promise when.