Re: Image to Function data structure conversion

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:36:21PM +0000, A Navaei wrote:
> 2009/2/15 Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>:

> >> This breaks the concept of a function space. A function space is defined
> >> in terms of a mesh (and other things). A function space does not define
> >> its mesh.
> >>
> >> It looks to me like the class that you're creating should be called
> >> something like
> >>
> >>    DolfinImageProblem,
> >>
> >> which can create its own Mesh, FunctionSpace and other objects.
> >>
> >> Garth

> > I think what you need to do is something like this:
> >
> > 1. Create a subclass of Function
> >
> > 2. In the constructor of your Function, call the empty Function()
> > constructor
> >
> > 3. Then, still in the constructor of your Function (not
> > FunctionSpace), create everything necessary like figuring out the
> > mesh, dofmap etc and from that create a FunctionSpace
> >
> > 4. Then use that FunctionSpace (still in the constructor of your
> > Function subclass) to create a new Function v which uses your special
> > FunctionSpace in its constructor
> >
> > 5. Finally, assign this function to the created Function:
> >
> >  *this = v;
>
>  error: no match for 'operator=' in
> '*(itk::DolfinImageFunction<itk::Image<double, 2u> >*)this = v'
>
> Assigning Function to ImageFunction is a trouble, see the full code here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/wrapitk/source/browse/trunk/ExternalProjects/ItkDolfin/src/itkDolfinImageFunction.h#87

Do you have the latest hg version?

Function assignment should work (see recent discussion on the mailing
list on copy constructors and assignment operators for Function).

> I don't understand the philosophy behind this tight security: why no
> protected member variables? Why is everything either public or
> private? Needless to say, the protected members were designed to allow
> class extensions, by banning it, you're making sub classing a
> unnecessarily complicated task. The above problem has it's own work
> arounds, but I don't understand why the obvious way is blocked.

The reason is simply that the constructor arguments in Function and
FunctionSpace are const. This means no one is allowed to change the
variables, not even the Function class (or FunctionSpace class)
itself. For example, it's reasonable when you create a Function on a
FunctionSpace that the Function will not change the FunctionSpace.