Re: Problem with build system

On Wed, February 25, 2009 23:26, Anders Logg wrote:
> When I compile using
>
>   scons install
>
> the compilation will continue with building the SWIG interface,
> installing etc even if there are build errors when compiling the C++
> code. Shouldn't the build stop at errors?

Does this happen if you run

    scons install

or if you run multiple threads like

    scons -j5 install

Or does it happen in both cases?

BTW, I always thought of it as a two-step process (first build then
install), so I always do

    scons
    scons install

> If I just type 'scons', it will indeed stop, but then I get a message
> "If there were no errors, run scons install" etc, even if there were
> errors. Isn't there some error code that could be checked before
> writing that message?

As Garth said, this is possible with newer SCons but the one that comes
with Hardy is too old.

Johannes

PS: For those looking for ways to speed up the build process, here is a
tip for Ardour that I found recently:

Speeding up SCons
If you rebuild Ardour a lot from source, you may want to use the
--implicit-deps-unchanged flag to scons. You should not use this flag
after an SVN update or after unpacking a new tarball. However, once you
have run scons once without this flag, then assuming you do not make
alterations that change the "dependencies" between files (e.g. by editing
the source code to change the use of various #include directives), this is
a valuable option. It makes scons perform more like make and dramatically
speeds up a full or even partial build.

Some ardour developers have a shell script called sconsi which they use as
their primary compile commmand. They switch to scons after SVN updates or
significant code changes.

        #!/bin/sh

        exec scons --implicit-deps-unchanged $*