Re: [HG DOLFIN] Automatically interpolate user-defined functions on assignment

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:09:28PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> DOLFIN wrote:
> > One or more new changesets pushed to the primary dolfin repository.
> > A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.
> >
> > changeset:   5853:f1ef6132a568d5a56e5c70b17ce118c19bfa961c
> > tag:         tip
> > user:        Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
> > date:        Wed Mar 11 23:01:49 2009 +0100
> > files:       ChangeLog demo/pde/poisson/cpp/Poisson.h dolfin/function/Function.cpp sandbox/misc/Poisson.form sandbox/misc/Poisson.h sandbox/misc/README sandbox/misc/SConstruct sandbox/misc/cpp/Poisson.form sandbox/misc/cpp/Poisson.h sandbox/misc/cpp/SConstruct sandbox/misc/cpp/main.cpp sandbox/misc/main.cpp
> > Automatically interpolate user-defined functions on assignment
> >

> I thought that we decided that this wasn't a good thing to do? With
> assignment, I expect the objects to be identical. I would prefer
>
>    Function u;
>    u.interpolate(v);
>
> Garth

I still think it's a good idea (see separate post I wrote before
reading yours).

Writing u0 = u1 is the natural thing to do in time-stepping. As long
as it's clear what happens, it should be ok to make the interpolation
automatic.