Re: [HG DOLFIN] Automatically interpolate user-defined functions on assignment

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:59:43PM +0100, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I don't see how the current approach with rank deducted from
> >> some function space is any safer than deducting it from the
> >> finite element of the form. Which is to say: this is unsafe, the
> >> user should define the rank when defining eval.
> >
> > We just removed the rank() and dim() arguments from the Function
> > interface as they are not needed.
>
> Are not needed because a Function always has a FunctionSpace
> or for some other reason? If we don't require a FunctionSpace
> I think they should be re-added. I expect to be able to use a Function
> for other things than assembly, e.g., if I get some arbitrary Function
> to some code:
>
> void foo(Function & f)
> {
>    ... compute something with f
> }
>
> I can't know the dimensions of arguments to f.
> This means I can't write generic code to do something with Functions.

One of the simplifying assumptions we made a while back when
redesigning the Function classes was that a Function always has a
FunctionSpace. This still seems to be a good assumption and perhaps we
should enforce it even stronger than we do now.

It would also make it easy to check for errors during assembly. The
form knows the correct FunctionSpace and the assembler may compare
that FunctionSpace against the FunctionSpace of the Function.

> > I don't think having rank(), dim(), geometric_dimension() as mandatory
> > in the Function interface would help. I've seen more examples of
> > programs breaking from rank() and dim() being implemented incorrectly
> > than I've seen programs breaking from eval() being implemented
> > incorrectly. And no error-checking can save a user from typing
> >
> >  values[100] = x[30]
> >
> > inside eval(), unless we move away from arrays to some bounds-checking
> > type for the arguments to eval.
>
> Ok, it probably isn't a big problem to not have a check for this in assembly.
> The main error this kind of check used to catch was mismatch between
> function argument order in forms, which isn't a problem anymore.

> >> Of course, but that doesn't guarantee that the Function and the Form
> >> uses the same dimensions. Error checking is _the_ reason for
> >> making the user provide this information explicitly.
> >>
> >> The point of having explicit rank in a Function is not that the expected
> >> rank isn't available during assembly, but because the actual rank of the
> >> Function should be _checked against_ the rank expected for the form argument.
> >>
> >> In general, I find it very frustrating that DOLFIN has so little
> >> error checking.
> >
> > No one objects to error-checking. Error-checking is good and we should
> > do more of it. Feel free to add as much as you like. Make sure to
> > include clear and sensible error messages.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't have any time to donate for this, my time is
> better spent with UFL anyway.
>
> I'm trying to adapt a habit of always documenting my assumptions
> of input arguments to a function with checks and assertions.
> It's way harder to add checks to other peoples code or code I
> wrote myself long ago.
>
> I believe the only way to do better at this point is if everybody
> starts writing checks whenever new code is added or old
> code is modified. It also makes reading code easier!

Yes, that works fine if you know what you want to do from the start,
but I find that the design is often evolving and I wouldn't know which
unit tests to write until the code is finished.