Re: matrix action

Robert Kirby wrote:
Hi all,
Does DOLFIN support the notion of a "matrix action", what would be an "Operator" in Trilinos or a "matrix shell" in PETSc?

Take a look at dolfin/la/uBLASKyrlovMatrix.h and dolfin/la/PETScKyrlovMatrix.h. The latter is a wrapper for a PETSc 'matrix shell'. The FooKrylovMatrix classes are not derived from GenericMatrix and I don't think that they've been used very extensively. They are used by the ODE solvers.

Garth

The basic interface would tell the dimension of the domain and range and support an "apply" method. Indexing, whether getting or setting values, is not allowed. Of course, GenericMatrix should implement this interface.

I ask because sometimes it is advantageous to form the action of a matrix without forming it explicitly, especially for high order methods or tensor-product domains. I have some recent results on fast matrix-free methods for the Bernstein basis,
and would like to try them using DOLFIN meshes and solvers.

Thanks,
Rob