Re: uBLASKrylovMatrix and Python callbacks: now the fun begins

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 06:07:39PM +0200, Kent Andre wrote:
> On ti., 2009-04-14 at 17:07 +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:48:51AM -0500, Robert Kirby wrote:
> > > This is quite a bit how the mechanism in Trilinos works.
> > > It has the advantage that all components can (in principle) use it.
> > > The DOLFIN parameter mechanism could also dispatch to particular
> > > linear algebra back-ends (PETSc, Trilinos).  Sundance uses this
> > > to control the various preconditioner/solver packages in Trilinos
> > > (use Amesos with UMFPACK, no use AztecOO with Ifpack preconditioning, etc).
> > > It has a think layer that reads the ParameterList and creates the right
> > > objects.  This relies heavily on polymorphism, which we already have in
> > > place thanks to Generic*
> > >
> > > While enums are statically checkable at compile-time, parameter lists
> > > can be set and altered at run-time without recompilation.  Compile/link is
> > > something of a chore, and just to change the solver tolerance or
> > > preconditioner,
> > > one shouldn't have to recompile.
> > >
> > > Note, PETSc also has a parameter mechanism that is controllable without
> > > recompilation, so there must be something to this.  I personally prefer the
> > > XML format that Trilinos uses to the command-line structure of PETSc.
> >
> > It would be unproblematic to have both: a utility for parsing
> > command-line arguments which override parameters stored in XML files.
> >
> > I suspect there's something in Boost we could use for the parsing.
> >

> I suspect there is something in Boost for command-line arguments as
> well.

That's what I meant. I did not suggest using Boost for storing
parameters.

> Diffpack had very good utilities for this.  It could serve as a model
> for implementation, although it would be nice to not re-invent the
> wheel. In Diffpack the parameters were stored in a dynamic global
> structure. Many classes had a function 'defineParameters()' with a bunch
> of arguments (short commandline argument name, descriptive argument name
> to be used in input-files, the default argument, and a possible prefix
> for multiple instances of the same argument).  Furthermore in
> Diffpack you would typically do
>
> ./demo < inputfile.i
>
> After running the simulation you could do
>
> generate_readable_inputfile > input_used.i
>
> to see all parameters that were set. The input_used.i
> file could then be used in successive simulations.
> This was very useful in the sense that you did not need to
> search the source code to find the input parameters.

All this would be useful to have and it could easily be added to the
parameter system we have.

For example, we already stored whether or not a parameter has been
changed during the execution of a program. It would be easy to also
log which parameters have been accessed.

I'd be very happy if someone with a little programming skill and a
mind for design (and most of all time) would be interested in adding
these features.