Re: [UFC-dev] added higher mesh variable

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Anders Logg wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:39:08PM -0400, Shawn Walker wrote:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Martin Sandve Aln?s wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:21:58AM -0400, Shawn Walker wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Anders Logg wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:26:13AM +0200, Kent Andre wrote:
On l?., 2009-04-25 at 00:14 +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 05:28:30PM -0400, Shawn Walker wrote:
Here is the changeset that adds a `higher_order_coordinates' variable for
storing higher order mesh data.  This is a very minor change so please
push this.

A changeset for DOLFIN is coming immediately after this.

- Shawn
I'm not sure what to do about this. It's problematic to add
experimental work to UFC since it must be stable. In particular, any
small change to ufc.h means that all forms must be recompiled
everywhere for everyone.

So before we make a change to UFC, we need to know exactly what we
need. Which also means I can't import your DOLFIN patch since it
depends on the UFC patch.

I see you've added

    double** higher_order_coordinates;

to ufc::cell. This is analogous to what is now implemented in
MeshGeometry and the mesh XML format so I think it's good.

The question is what other information we need. As it works now (for
the standard ufc::cell), UFC code generated by a form compiler knows
what to expect from for a ufc::cell argument. If higher order mappings
should work the same way, then the generated code and thus the form
compilers need to know which mapping should be used and also the
length of higher_order_coordinates. Is this what you were thinking?

Before we do much more about it, more people need to weigh in on it as
it affects DOLFIN, UFC, SyFi and FFC.

But is there any other way around this. It would be nice with higher
order meshes and UFC should not stop this.

An alternative to changing the cell class would be to make a subclass
of cell. Would this work ?
How about just using the current ufc::cell data structure as it is but
let coordinates hold all the coordinates?

This could also be the final solution. Then everything that's needed
is an extra argument to tabulate_tensor that tells the generated code
whether the cell is affinely mapped or not. The flag could simply be
an integer: 1 means affine, 2 means quadratic etc.
But you still need to modify the ufc::cell code, I think.  There is also
an implicit assumption that the higher order coordinates should contain
the standard mesh vertex coordinates.  Of course, this is true for most
practical cases.  But for more fancy mappings, maybe this is not the
case.

It seems to me that a reasonable assumption would be to limit the
cases to P1, P2, P3, etc, that is, mappings that can be written down
using standard Lagrange bases so then the vertices will always be
included. They would also be first in the list meaning that the code
would actually work (but might not give accurate results) even if it
were generated for affine mappings.

Also, in the ufc::cell code, you currently read in the cell coordinates
using info in MeshTopology.  However, the higher order coordinate info
resides in MeshGeometry (which is where it belongs).  So you would still
need to modify ufc.h.   Remember, there is higher order cell data that is
contained in MeshGeometry.

Where is MeshTopology used for this? I looked in UFCCell.h which is
where the coordinates are copied to ufc::cell and there MeshGeometry
is used.

Is it really that hard to change ufc.h?  Other things have to be
recompiled, but isn't that automatic?

Yes, it's easy to change, but a main point with UFC is that we
shouldn't change it.

UFC will need to be extended as time goes on, but it is hard to know
from the outset how it should be done. What about using some IFDEF's or
non-pure virtual functions in the development version to allow
experimentation? These can then either be removed or added to UFC at
release time.

Garth

Or subclasses with non-pure virtual functions:

class experimental_cell_integral: public ufc::cell_integral
{
 void foo() const { throw ...("Experimental feature not implemented."); }
};

or

namespace eufc {
 class cell_integral: public ufc::cell_integral
 {
   void foo() const { throw ...("Experimental feature not implemented."); }
 };
}

We can define these in "experimental_ufc.h" or "eufc.h" to keep the
official header file constant.

Then the DOLFIN code that uses experimental features must be clearly marked:

 ufc::cell_integral *itg = form.create_cell_integral(0)
 eufc::cell_integral *eitg = dynamic_cast<eufc::cell_integral>(itg);

and can then use "if(eitg)" to select between experimental and
non-experimental code.

In a similar vein, could we just have another file named eufc.h, and put
an IFNDEF somewhere that would use eufc.h instead of ufc.h?  That way I
could modify eufc.h all I want, and people don't have to use it.  But I'm
not sure how to do this.  Ideally, this would be an option for scons like
enableExpUFC=true.  Or is it only necessary to include eufc.h in files
that FFC generates?  We just need something for testing.

Obviously, I cannot just modify UFCCell.h.  I tried that, but FFC cannot
access variables declared in the sub-class (woops...  :(  ).

One option could be to create a file named ufc.h and put it in

 dolfin/fem/ufc.h

and change all #include <ufc.h> to #include "ufc.h".

Then the DOLFIN version of ufc.h will include either the installed
ufc.h or another file named ufce.h which is placed in

 dolfin/fem/ufce.h

That file contains data structures named the same way as in the
official ufc.h but with modifications (so the rest of the code won't
need to be changed much).

Then in the DOLFIN ufc.h control file we place an #ifdef for whether
to include the official ufc.h or the experimental one:

#ifdef UFC_EXPERIMENTAL
#include "ufce.h"
#else
#include <ufc.h>
#endif

You can set the flag by adding

 customCxxFlags="-DUFC_EXPERIMENTAL"

to scons.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have this exp_ufc.h be a part of ufc? That way when you install ufc, there can be an `enableExpUFC' option. In this case, scons will copy exp_ufc.h to the build directory and rename it to ufc.h. The exp_ufc.h file will basically be identical to ufc.h, so it makes sense to keep it together. This will also put in a convenient `buffer' for experimenting with ufc, and allow for easy moving over of additions to ufc.h. Could someone please put this in? Please? :)

- Shawn