Re: [HG DOLFIN] Some enum -> std::string for la norms.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Johan Hake <hake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 May 2009 14:07:11 DOLFIN wrote:
>> One or more new changesets pushed to the primary dolfin repository.
>> A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.
>>
>> changeset:   6098:4b3c43f72124bd0be03b6eaa0d7d2dd1f7b03d65
>> tag:         tip
>> user:        "Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx>"
>> date:        Wed May 06 13:06:55 2009 +0100
>> files:       dolfin/la/BlockVector.cpp dolfin/la/BlockVector.h
>> dolfin/la/EpetraVector.cpp dolfin/la/EpetraVector.h
>> dolfin/la/GenericVector.h dolfin/la/MTL4Vector.cpp dolfin/la/MTL4Vector.h
>> dolfin/la/PETScLUSolver.cpp dolfin/la/PETScMatrix.cpp
>> dolfin/la/PETScMatrix.h dolfin/la/PETScVector.cpp dolfin/la/PETScVector.h
>> dolfin/la/Vector.h dolfin/la/enums_la.h dolfin/la/solve.cpp
>> dolfin/la/uBLASVector.cpp dolfin/la/uBLASVector.h
>> dolfin/nls/NewtonSolver.cpp dolfin/ode/MonoAdaptiveNewtonSolver.cpp
>> dolfin/ode/MultiAdaptiveNewtonSolver.cpp site-packages/dolfin/__init__.py
>> site-packages/dolfin/errornorm.py description:
>> Some enum -> std::string for la norms.
>
> The nice thing with enums was that I could easily get hold of the possible
> values. I just took a look in enum_la.h.

And a decent editor could do auto-completion as well.

> Now I have to look into the
> different .cpp files and scan the 'if' statements.
>
> Could we predefine some variables for this purpose? Something like this for
> preconditioners:
>
>  std::string no_prec("no_prec");  // Instead of "none" due to PyDOLFIN?
>  std::string jacobi("jacobi");
>  std::string sor("sor");
>  std::string ilu("ilu");
>  std::string icc("icc");
>  std::string amg_hypre("amg_hypre");
>  std::string amg_ml("amg_ml");
>  std::string default("default");

Then what's the point of using strings instead of enums?
Could just as well use enums and make
enum-to-string-to-enum utilities for file handling and printing.

> If I misspell the string I will not get an error but rather the default
> version. Predefined variables will help for this.
>
> I parameter system with "allowed" values would ofcourse solve this.

Yes, warnings or errors when using invalid strings is simply a must have.

Martin