Parameter system

I've added some of the requested features to the parameter system,
some pushed and some sitting here in a local repository. But the
current design makes it a pain to add new features. A single change
will make it necessary to add a function in at least 5 different
classes.

So I'm thinking of reimplementing and simplifying the parameter
system. I think I know how to make it simpler.

But before I do that, does anyone have opinions on the
design/implementation? Is there any third-party library that we
could/should use (maybe something in boost)?