Re: Recent changes

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 01:37:52PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:

> >> This is very useful and a nice improvement.

> >> Nice.

> >> Very good. What's the situation with mesh i/o? Is is serial?
> >
> > No, that's also parallel (at least the i part). Here's a quick summary:
> >
> > 1. The mesh is read in parallel, each process reading data into LocalMeshData.
> >
> > 2. The cells are partitioned in parallel using ParMETIS (we can add an
> > interface to SCOTCH later).
> >
> > 3. The cells are redistributed among the processes according to the
> > partition.
> >
> > 4. The vertices are redistributed among the processes according to the
> > cell distribution.
> >

> Are facets also distributed (for DG)?

Yes, but DG won't work until later.

The mesh is partitioned such that processes may share faces (and
vertices and edges) but never cells. So the faces will be numbered
correctly for DG, but for some interior faces (the ones on the
boundary to a neighboring partition), one of its neighboring cells
will be missing so the assembler will treat it as an exterior face.

This can be worked around by distributing the mesh with an overlap
(cells shared along partitioned boundaries) and indicators for which
process should assemble over those cells.