Re: Strange message from build system

On Wed, June 3, 2009 08:21, Johannes Ring wrote:
> On Tue, June 2, 2009 16:35, Anders Logg wrote:
>> When I build DOLFIN without first setting up my PATHs correctly, I get
>> a strange message from the build system. It complains about not
>> finding UFC but it's only a warning. Then goes on to say that DOLFIN
>> was successfully compiled and installed:
>>
>>   Warning: Unknown dependency package: ufc-1
>>   Enabling compilation of Python wrappers
>>   Checking for cppunit... yes
>>   scons: done reading SConscript files.
>>   scons: Building targets ...
>>   scons: `install' is up to date.
>>   scons: done building targets.
>>   ---------------------------------------------------------
>>   DOLFIN successfully compiled and installed in
>>
>>     /home/logg/Desktop/current/dolfin-dev/local/
>>
>>   ---------------------------------------------------------
>>   Warning: Installation directory is not in PATH.
>>
>> I know for a fact that 'install' was not up to date since I pulled
>> some updates before building. If I set the PATH for UFC, then scons
>> goes ahead and builds correctly.
>
> Yes, I will look into this.

When I run scons without setting any paths it exits gracefully with a
message that I need to install the latest UFC:

$ scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for pkg-config... yes
[snip]
Checking for ufc-1... no (pkg-config file not found)
 Trying to generate pkg-config file for ufc-1... failed
[snip]
Resolving compiler... done
Warning: Unknown dependency package: ufc-1
*** Unable to import UFC. Install latest UFC
$

I guess you have the UFC module in $PYTHONPATH but not the ufc-1.pc file
in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

If I do set the paths to UFC correctly but remove the libxml2-dev Debian
package I get a similar message as you:

 Checking for libxml-2.0... no (pkg-config file not found)
 Trying to generate pkg-config file for libxml-2.0... failed
Resolving compiler... done
Warning: Unknown dependency package: libxml-2.0
Enabling compilation of Python wrappers
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: *** No targets specified and no Default() targets found.  Stop.
Compilation of DOLFIN finished. Now run
[snip]

I guess we should change the warning about the unknown dependency package
into an error and exit. I'll do that now.

Johannes