Re: Mesh Refinement

Jehanzeb Hameed wrote:
Hello,

I am new to Dolfin, and was wondering how subdomains are supported as
regards to mesh reading and refinement. In my case, I will have a
mesh, with 2 subdomains. Each cell has an identifier indicating which
domain it belongs to. Looking at the examples, it seems I will need to
store domain identifiers in a separate xml file. Is that correct?

Subdomain identifiers can be stored in different ways, as a separate MeshFunction, or in the MeshData structure.
I prefer MeshData, because it is directly included in the Mesh object.
You can also store boundary indicators using MeshData structure, see
demo/pde/bcs.

With regard to mesh refinement, I assume I will be able to define
subdomains for each domain based on cell identifiers. Now, when I
refine the mesh, will the subdomains also be updated (i.e. will dolfin
know what domain the new cells belong to) ?

If you name your MeshFunction "material indicators" it will be transformed to follow refined mesh. Arrays which store boundary indicators will be updated too.
See LocalMeshRefinement::transformMeshData()

Also, is there a way to read archives of this list?

Yes, there is http://www.fenics.org/pipermail/dolfin-dev/

regrds.
BArtek

Thanks,