Re: Issues with interpolate

Garth N. Wells wrote:

Johan Hake wrote:
On Thursday 02 July 2009 15:17:08 Garth N. Wells wrote:
Johan Hake wrote:
On Thursday 02 July 2009 22:48:18 Marie Rognes wrote:
Johan Hake wrote:
On Thursday 02 July 2009 13:24:28 Garth N. Wells wrote:
Johan Hake wrote:
On Thursday 02 July 2009 13:07:47 Garth N. Wells wrote:
Marie Rognes wrote:
Garth N. Wells wrote:
Marie Rognes wrote:
The following code gives r = 0.0. It is not supposed to be.

The problem seems to be that f's vector is still all zeros at the
call to interpolate. Could this be easily fixed?
This example should have led to an error message since f is not a
discrete function. I'll take a look.
Ok, thanks!

However,

(a) Why is f not a discrete function? (It is defined on a finite
element space?)
On second thought, it may be a discrete function. I think that this
is defined in the Python interface and not the C++ interface, so
I'll take a look.
A user defined function is not a discrete function untill you either
call interpolate() or vector, also in python. The problem with the
later is that you then create a vector which is initialized to 0.

I think this has been discussed before, but should we populate the
vector using f.interpolate() when vector is called on a userdefined
function?
Or perhaps Function::vector() should throw an error if the vector has
not already been allocated.
I vote for this.

The error message can include information about the user might want to
call interpolate?
What is wrong with actually populating the vector with the values one
expects it to have?
(When would one not want this?)
Nothing is wrong with that. It just changes the state of the userdefined function. The question is should this change be the implicit result of a
call to Function::vector() or should it be a result of an explicit
action: a call to Function::interpolate().

Also note that it is not intuitive to me that one must call
f.interpolate() before

    Pi_f = interpolate(f, Q_h)
I thought that I removed the above function from the C++ interface and
added

     Pi_f = interpolate(f)

Oops, I meant that I removed

    Pi_f.interpolate(f, Q_h)

and added

    Pi_f.interpolate(f)

I think that we should remove interpolate.py. It's now a wrapper for only two lines of code.

If so, if I want to interpolate f (defined on V_h) onto the space Q_h, I should do ...?

--
Marie