Re: [HG DOLFIN] Work on parallel plotting from C++. Not yet working. Getting errors like

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 11:13:50AM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:

> >> I don't see working in this direction on plotting as being very
> >> profitable. We've spent effort on getting VTK output working in
> >> parallel, so why not just tell Viper to load the .pvtk file?
> >>
> >> Also, plotting works from Python in parallel in the sense that things
> >> pop up on the screen, but it doesn't really work because one only gets a
> >> plot for each process with it's part of the domain. Working through the
> >> .pvtk file would solve this too.
> >>
> >> Garth
> >
> > I think the builtin plot should do just what it does now, which is to
> > pop up a separate window for each process. It's very nice for debugging.
>
> We already have what's needed for this - just let Viper load the .vtu
> file for each process. My problems with the present plotting are that it
> duplicates what we already have in place and that it's fragile.
> Frequently it's been broken for me and it's not easy to fix because the
> messages are not helpful since it's unclear whether a problem lies with
> DOLFIN or Viper.

I don't know how much work would be involved to do this in Viper, or
even if it's desirable. Ola can comment on that.

But even if we write .vtu files, the problem remains to call Viper on
the command-line from C++ which currently breaks.

I think Hake is also looking into adding a C++ interface to Viper
which may or may not be simple to add. If simple to add, it might
solve this issue (the plot crashing when running in parallel). I'll
hold off any fixes until I know the status of that effort.