Re: [Blueprint solver-interfaces] Redesign of solver interfaces

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:49:36AM -0000, Johan Hake wrote:
> Blueprint changed by Johan Hake:
>
> Whiteboard changed to:
>
> Might also want LinearSystem and VariationalProblem as placeholders for
> A, b and a, L, bcs. There would then be three ways to solve a problem:
>
>   x = solve(A, b)
>   x = solver.solve(A, b)
>   x = LinearSystem(A, b).solve()
>
> Johan Hake:
> Why cannot LinearSolver and VariationalSolver act as this place holder?

Since (A, b) defines a linear system but not a linear solver. The
solver attributes should be things like preconditioner, iterative
method, tolerances etc.

I'm not sure we really need LinearSystem and VariationalProblem. It's
something Marie requested. Let's discuss it further.