Re: dolfin + mtl + dorsal -> linking error

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:49:56PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Andre Massing wrote:
Hi,

Johan Hake wrote:
On Sunday 20 September 2009 13:24:13 Andre Massing wrote:
Hi,

I just reinstalled all fenics and related packages for testing/benchmark
purposes via dorsal (except dolfin itself) and configure, compiled and
install dolphin via scons.local. And just to be sure, I deleted every
pkgconfig file I came across :) Unfortunately if I try to run the
SConstruct file in the demo/function/eval/cpp directory I get the
following linking error (I sourced dolfin.conf in beforehand...)

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
mpic++ -o demo -Wl,-rpath,/home/andre/local/lib -pthread
-Wl,--export-dynamic main.o
-L/home/andre/homebase/software/packages/src/fenics-unstable/dolfin/local/l
ib -L/home/andre/local/lib -L/usr/lib/atlas -lCGAL -lCGAL_Core -ldolfin
 -lboost_filesystem-mt -lz -lslepc -lml -lifpack -lamesos -laztecoo
 -lteuchos -lepetra -lepetraext -lumfpack -lboost_program_options-mt -lgts
 -lm -llapack -lblas -lcholmod -lamd -lcolamd -lparmetis -lmetis -lgmp
 -lgmpxx -lscotch -lscotcherr -lxml2 -lpetscts -lpetscsnes
-lpetscksp -lpetscdm -lpetscmat -lpetscvec -lpetsc -lgthread-2.0 -lrt
-lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0
/home/andre/homebase/software/packages/src/fenics-unstable/dolfin/local/lib
/libdolfin.so: undefined reference to `mtl::vector::dense_vector<double,
mtl::vector::parameters<mtl::tag::col_major,
mtl::vector::non_fixed::dimension, false, false> >::size_type
mtl::vector::num_rows<double,
mtl::vector::parameters<mtl::tag::col_major,
mtl::vector::non_fixed::dimension, false, false>

 >(mtl::vector::dense_vector<double,

mtl::vector::parameters<mtl::tag::col_major,
mtl::vector::non_fixed::dimension, false, false> > const&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [demo] Error 1

Since mtl4 is so heavily template based I would expect some -I option to
include right mtl paths, but I am just blindly guessing...
Maybe any ideas what went wrong?
What version of mtl4 do you have. I have 6821 and it works fine.
I use 6848 (today's version as dorsal does a svn update within an
existing mtl4 directory)

You are showing the output from the linking stage and this should be fine
without any references to any mtl4 path, as mtl4 is (as far as I know) a pure
header library.
Oh yepp right, accidentally looked and copied the messages from the
second run...

Just investigated the problem and there were a changes in the mtl4
trunk, updating to your revision actually resolved the problem (note to
me: should have done this first :))
A svn diff of the revisions showed that basically the implementation of
the function num_rows and num_cols were changed.

Oh man, installation of bleeding edge software makes always fun and gets
you never bored :)

I've been running into a few problems with MTL4 lately. The developers
do not test MTL4 with the '-Wall' flag, which means that they don't pick
up issues which give us problems. Is it an idea to remove the MTL4
backend? We can add it back later if it becomes more stable. Opinions?

Depends on whether someone wants to keep tracking MTL4 and at least
occasionally make sure it works. You've been doing a good job so far,
but if you want to drop it and no one else wants to pick it up, I
don't mind dropping it.

OK, we'll drop it then. I don't have time to keep debugging MTL4.