Re: Testing for library version

Johan Hake wrote:
On Sunday 27 September 2009 19:49:09 Garth N. Wells wrote:
Where's the appropriate place in the build system to test for the
version number of external libraries? Is it in dolfin/SConscript (using
  the simula-scons function 'checkVersion')?

I do not think we have any defined sections in SConstruct/SConscript where this should be done. We have used checkVersion to check for the swig version some years ago... It is still there as out-commented code in the SConscript file.

I think the function just compare a version string with another handed version string, where the numbers are delimited by '.'.
Aren't there any version checks done in the pkg-config generator files?

No, but I guess that's not the place to do it since they are unrelated to DOLFIN and just produce a foo.pc file.

I guest the right way is to use 'pkg-config --version foo.pc' rather than checkVersion. Still, I don't know where this check is best performed.

My motivation for this is to require PETSc >= 3 so the that PETsc wrappers can cleaned up.