Re: [HG DOLFIN] Rmove some interpolate functions from FunctionSpace.

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 07:20:53PM +0200, DOLFIN wrote:
> One or more new changesets pushed to the primary dolfin repository.
> A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.
>
> changeset:   7215:54eb1b460f36
> tag:         tip
> user:        "Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx>"
> date:        Thu Oct 01 18:20:43 2009 +0100
> files:       dolfin/function/Function.cpp dolfin/function/FunctionSpace.cpp dolfin/function/FunctionSpace.h
> Rmove some interpolate functions from FunctionSpace.
>
> One remains. Should it stay?

The two interpolate() functions that we have now in Function seem to
be the only two logical interpolate() functions. And they are actually
the same: a Function interpolating something else which can be either
a Function or an Expression.

Then we have two other functions which are now named interpolate. One
is interpolate_vertex_values in Function and one is interpolate in
FunctionSpace. These are really different since they are about taking
a Function and computing some values: either vertex values or
expansion coefficients in another space.

I suggest we rename these and put them both in the Function class:

  /// Compute vertex values for all vertices of the mesh
  void compute_vertex_values(double* vertex_values) const;

  /// Compute expansion coefficients on given function space
  void compute_expansion_coefficients(GenericVector& coefficients, const FunctionSpace& V);

Then there's really just one interpolate() function left and a bunch
of other functions:

  interpolate
  compute_vertex_values
  compute_expansion_coefficients