Re: FunctionSpaces and User-defined functions

Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:07:59AM -0500, Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
In previous versions of DOLFIN, a user was able to define a function
(overloading eval) and then use it in several forms, even when the
forms had different function spaces.  It seems that currently a
FunctionSpace gets attached to the user function and then I get a
runtime error when it is used in another form.  Is there a way to tell
the function to delete the current function space?

Any help is appreciated.
Which version are you using? 0.9.3 or hg tip?

I'm using 0.9.3.  I'm way to slow to keep up with the tip =D.

We've been redesigning the function classes since 0.9.3 to make these
things work better. In particular, a user must now subclass a new
class named Expression which never has a FunctionSpace attached to it
so you should be able to use it in many forms, as long as the shape
(rank and dimension) of the expression matches.

Okay, I'd like to release my library against 0.9.3 so users can have a
stable release but I will watch out for these changes.

I expect the we'll release 0.9.4 pretty soon, so it might be a good idea to catch up.

Garth

-- Andy