dof_map / finite element consistency

We added some time ago

  dof_map::max_local_dimension()

and perhaps we also need

  finite_element::max_local_dimension()

and

  finite_element::local_dimension(const ufc_cell& )

I have a problem for which the number of dofs an element has can grow during a computation. You may say that this is then a different element, but that would make it hard to handle in DOLFIN and hard to generate code for.

Here's an example of an inconsistency. In dolfin::Function, we initialise some scratch space for the dof map based on the element space dimension,

  dofs = new uint[element.space_dimension()];
  for (uint i = 0; i < element.space_dimension(); i++)
    dofs[i] = 0;

whereas is dolfin::UFC we use dof_map::max_local_dimension().