Re: [HG DOLFIN] First iteration of refinement of function spaces. Refinement of a function

Marie Rognes wrote:
DOLFIN wrote:
One or more new changesets pushed to the primary dolfin repository.
A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.

changeset:   7408:f32a6ec49c47
tag:         tip
user:        Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
date:        Thu Oct 29 23:28:47 2009 +0100
files: dolfin/fem/DofMap.cpp dolfin/fem/DofMap.h dolfin/function/FunctionSpace.cpp dolfin/function/FunctionSpace.h dolfin/mesh/Mesh.h
First iteration of refinement of function spaces. Refinement of a function
space should take care of refining the mesh, rebuilding the dofmap and
interpolating all its member functions to the new function space.

All essential bits should be in place but needs some debugging to
find memory errors/leaks.

This seems to be not working quite optimally yet.

1) The attached script fails with the error:

   python: dolfin/function/Function.cpp:392: virtual void
   dolfin::Function::compute_vertex_values(double*, const
   dolfin::Mesh&) const: Assertion `&mesh == &_function_space->mesh()'
   failed.
   Aborted

2) The original mesh does not seem to be refined. Shouldn't it be?

3) Not much seems to happen if f is an Expression (since not much seems to happen with the mesh)

4) What happens when there are multiple function spaces associated with one mesh?

I haven't looked at the code yet, but my first reaction to the commit log is related to the above two points. I wonder if it's wise to make a FunctionSpace aware of the Functions that depend on it. It makes FunctionSpace more complicated and things could get very tricky in parallel. Also, there is some freedom in how a Function is moved from one mesh to another.

Would could define a new class, something like FunctionCollection (I haven't given any thought to an appropriate name) which could collect FunctionSpaces and GenericFunctions together for modification. It could provide a default method for transferring a Function from one mesh to another (say, interpolation), and a virtual interface for the user to provide the transfer.

Marie