Re: Expression class

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 08:18:38AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:

> We could also have
>
>      f = Expression("sin(x[0])", mesh, k)
>
> where k is the order of the continuous Lagrange basis since that's the
> most commonly used.

> This is bad. If a user increases the polynomial order of the test/trial
> functions and f remains P1, the convergence rate will not be optimal.
>
> A better solution would be to define it on a QuadratureElement by
> default. This, I think, is the behaviour that most people would expect.
> This would take care of higher-order cases.

Yes, I've thought about this. That would perhaps be the best solution.
Does a quadrature element have a fixed degree or can the form compiler
adjust it later to match the degree of for example the basis functions
in the form?

If one should happen to differentiate a coefficient in a form, we just
need to give an informative error message and advise that one needs to
specify a finite element for the approximation of the coefficient.

> But it is when it's used in a form since it's interpolated in the given
> space.

The important point is that we only need to be able to interpolate it
locally to any given cell in the mesh, so we just need a mesh and a
cell. The dofmap is never used so it's different from a full function
space.

> Yes.

Good.

> >> Yes, I think so. I suppose you mean
> >>
> >>   f = CompiledExpression("0", mesh)
> >>
> >> Just referring to the Blueprint about the simplification of the Expression
> >> class in PyDOLFIN.
> >
> > I'm not so sure anymore. Calling it Expression looks simpler.
>
> Agree.

Good.