Re: pydoc

On Thursday 10 December 2009 08:19:13 Anders Logg wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with pydoc and DOLFIN? Johan?
>
> I've received some questions from some new users and apparently it
> works for some classes but not others. I can have a closer look but
> someone might already know how to fix it.

I have not looked to much into either pydoc or epydoc. I tried to generate
some documentations using both. After I removed the installation, it seemed
that old .pyc files caused some trouble, I managed to build some nice
documentation with epydoc. Take a look at:

  <http://folk.uio.no/hake/dolfin_doc>

For a closer look. We (me and Martin) has tried to make new docstring written
in epytext markup language. I see that this is caught by the generated epydocs
but not all of it, due to wrong syntax and other embarrassing stuff.

It should be possible to automagically generate these files and hand to the
community in the same manner as the C++ references are generated.

I got some warnings though during the compilation, typically:

  compile_expressions is shadowed by compile_expressions

so it does not like us importing a function with the same name as the module,
which it is imported from. We do this a lot. Any objections for changing the
name of the python modules?