Re: Release status?

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 08:38:08AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:
> > What shape are we in currently for making a new release next week?
>
> FFC/FIAT/UFL should have some more testing time before a release given
> all the changes.

Yes, ideally we should have more time but we don't. We can't move the
Debian import freeze and I think it would be good to get the latest
release in there.

It all depends on whether we finish testing on time. We will have
quite massive testing (unit and regression tests) to back up the new
release.

> > I've been locked up in FFC/UFL for the last month so I'm not fully
> > up to speed.
> >
> > One thing I'm not completely happy with is
> >
> >   const Array<const double>& x
> >
> > It would look better if we could somehow manage to have
> >
> >   const Array<double>& x
> >
> > Would that be possible to fix?
> >

> We can't fix it properly. We looked at it some time ago. The reason is
> that Array does not necessarily own the data, unlike a std::vector. We
> therefore need
>
>   const Array<const foo> bar
>
> when wrapping const pointers.

Would it help if we let data.x own its values and then copy the values
into data.x instead of

  this->x.update(ufc_cell.geometric_dimension, x);

inside Data::set. It might be slower potentially, but I doubt it will
matter.

It would make the interface more intuitive. As it is now, we force an
extra const that looks strange.

> > What needs to happen before ca next Wednesday is to fix any remaining
> > issues in DOLFIN (how many?) and FFC (quite a few) and then make new
> > releases of
> >
> >   DOLFIN (0.9.6)
> >   FFC (0.9.0)
> >   UFL (0.5.0)
> >   FIAT (0.4.0?)
> >   UFC (1.2.1)
> >
> > Anything else?
> >

> There was an update to Viper recently.

You mean the LUT thing? It wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure how
important that is.