[Question #99875]: restricted dof

New question #99875 on DOLFIN:

I think I'm right in thinking that dolfin can only perform n-dimensional calculations on meshes embedded in R^n, however is there an easy way to restrict the dof/manipulate the assembly such that when I do something like

a = u*v*ds
L = f*v*ds

the assembled forms have non-zero determinant? Currently the assembly gives these matrices (reordered):
      [ds stuff |    0   ]
      [      0    |    0   ]
      [ds stuff ]

whereas I'd either like to just keep the ds stuff (although that would require another mapping between the reordered ds nodes and the original mesh) or possibly set the bottom right of A to the identity matrix (without having to manipulate the matrix myself).

Alternatively, are there any better approaches I could adopt?