memory leaks

I'm trying to track down a nasty memory leak in a solver, and I've
noticed an increase in memory use for the below code, which I didn't
expect. It's not significant enough to explain the problems that I have,
but I did expect that the below code should not leads to any increase in
memory use. From a quick look, the memory use appears to come from

    # JIT-compile element to get ufc_element and ufc_dofmap
    ufc_element, ufc_dofmap = jit(self._ufl_element)

Should this be expected?

Garth

from dolfin import *

mesh = UnitSquare(2, 2, "crossed")

for i in xrange(5):
    for j in xrange(500):
        BDM = FunctionSpace(mesh, "Brezzi-Douglas-Marini", 1)
    raw_input("Check memory use and press ENTER to continue")
    print ". . . .", i

Follow ups