Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 4635: Work on reading Vectors in parallel. Some issues to resolve still.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 08:45:39AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:

> >> Looks good, except 'offset' should be 'size', or 'local_size'.
> >
> > Yes, but then maybe it's not needed since the local size will be
> > available in the local files (which can be standard XML vector data).
> >
> > But then won't the master files always be trivial? The only extra
> > information that is contained in the master file is the total size,
> > and the number of partitions (which will only be used to check that it
> > matches the actual number of processes).
> >

> The master file is the definitive file. Say a program is run with 4
> processes, and then with 2.  The files vector_0.xml, vector_1.xml,
> vector_2.xml and vector_3.xml will be floating around, but which files
> make up the vector? The master file will point to vector_0.xml and
> vector_1.xml.

I don't understand how that would work. Would it repartition the
entire vector or just use the first two?

> Also, there should be no need to check that the number of 'partitions'
> matches the number of processes.

That seems to be the only real use of having a master file, at least
the only extra information contained in the master file and not
contained in the local files.