Re: [Question #104471]: BCs in mixed space vector+scalar+scalar

Question #104471 on DOLFIN changed:

Anders Logg posted a new comment:
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:33:27PM -0000, Chris Richardson wrote:
> Question #104471 on DOLFIN changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/104471

> Chris Richardson confirmed that the question is solved:
> OK, that solves my problem. Thank you, Johan!
>
> It would be better, perhaps, if the default behaviour could be:
>
> W=V+Q+R
> is equivalent to
> W=MixedFunctionSpace([V,Q,R])
>
> and
> W=(V+Q)+R
> could be MixedFunctionSpace([MixedFunctionSpace([V,Q]),R]), if it is needed...
>
> or maybe the W=V+Q style syntax should be deprecated...

Yes, that would be good but I don't know how to fix that.

The problem is if you write

  x + y + z

then Python will interpret that as (x + y) + z.

So x + y will be a mixed function space, and then that will again be
mixed with z.

This question comes up again and again so it would be good to find a
way around this.