Re: [Question #105253]: Lu.factorize solver by UMFPACK

Johan Hake wrote:
Question #105253 on DOLFIN changed:

Johan Hake proposed the following answer:
On Monday March 22 2010 20:46:22 Murtazo Nazarov wrote:
Johan Hake wrote:
Question #105253 on DOLFIN changed:

Johan Hake proposed the following answer:

On Monday 22 March 2010 20:04:47 Murtazo Nazarov wrote:
New question #105253 on DOLFIN:

I am trying to use Lu factorized solver, for that did like this.

LUSolver solver("lu");
Matrix M;
Vector b;
assemble(M, *a);
assemble(b, *L);
solver.factorize(M);
solver.factorized_solve(u.vector(), b);

The matrix M is a mass matrix. But I get runtime error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

  what():  *** Error: Unable to return pointers to underlying matrix
  data.

Did someone experienced such output? Do you know how to fix it?
I think Garth can give a more comprehensive answer, but it looks like
solver.factorize only works for the uBLAS backend. So you probably need

set:
  parameters["linear_algebra_backend"] = "uBLAS";

in the beginning.

Johan
With this I get another error:

Initializing DOLFIN version 0.9.7.
Matrix of size 14400 x 14400 has 43200 nonzero entries.
Sorting sparsity pattern.
Matrix of size 14400 x 14400 has 43200 nonzero entries.
Sorting sparsity pattern.
LU-factorizing linear system of size 14400 x 14400 (UMFPACK).
[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html#Si
gnal[0]PETSC ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on linux or man libgmalloc
on Apple to find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: configure using --with-debugging=yes, recompile, link,
and run
[0]PETSC ERROR: to get more information on the crash.
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received!

No luck yet?

I have run out of suggestions :(

No, still have the same problem. So far I use hypre to solve the linear system for the mass matrix, it is quite fast, but I don't know if I get speedup by factorizing.

murtazo