Re: extract ALE displacement function

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:39:26AM +0200, Patrick Riesen wrote:
hello,

I possibly want to implement a free surface problem with my dolfin
code using the dolfin ALE functionality. dolfin can do the automatic
updating of the mesh nodes or else shift the nodes by a
user-supplied displacement function.

in the automatic updating, the vertex-displacements are
'method-supplied' and not accessible, but i need to have them in
some displacement function  in order to compute correct convective
velocities at all theeuler/ale/lagrange dofs.

i can get the displacements at the mesh vertices from comparing old
(not yet moved) and new (moved) mesh, but what's a good way to
generate a displacement function in a desired functionspace out of
those vertex-values?

What is you input?

Is it displacement on the boundary? Then you can just send in the
displaced boundary as argument to mesh.move().

i define how the free boundary part will be handled/displaced, and then i use dolfin ALE to automatically adjust the interior nodes.

but then don't i need the displacements applied by dolfin at the interior nodes to keep track of the relative displacement between mesh and fluid everywhere in the domain (and my equations)?

Or is it a vector-valued function (perhaps obtained by solving some
PDE for the displacement).

Then just send in that function to
mesh.move().

If you already have the displacement of the mesh, why do you need the
ALE functionality? If the mesh is already displaced, then nothing
needs to happen.