[Question #108100]: Solving problem in two domains

New question #108100 on DOLFIN:

I have two equations to solve. One of them is solved on a subdomain, and the other on the full domain. Once each problem is solved, I need to use its results in the second problem. So, if the problem on subdomain (say problem Small) is solved, I need to use this as a variable in the equation on the bigger domain (say problem Big). Once Big is solved,  I need to restrict it to the smaller domain, and so on.

I can see two ways of going about it:

1) Store two different meshes for the two domains. Once I have the values for one of the problems, use interpolation to get the values for the other problem. This doesnt seem very elegant, as one of the meshes is simply a sub-mesh of the other.

2) Use one mesh to start off with, but then use sub-mesh to solve problem Small. Here I had a couple of questions. I want to store the boundary markers for the subdomain in the mesh file. So, these boundary markers will not be boundary of the mesh, but should be markers for the boundary of the submesh. Can I do this? Once I extract a submesh, will the boundary indicators for the submesh also be extracted? Boundary markers are needed by me to mark the boundary as Neumann, or Dirichlet etc.

Which of the two methods is better, or is there a better third option?

Thanks,
-Jehanzeb