Re: Fwd: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 4734: Introduce functionality for automated error control and adaptivity.

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 07:06:04PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> On 09/05/10 15:04, Marie Rognes wrote:
> >Garth N. Wells wrote:
> >>Does this work from the C++ interface too?
> >>

> >Nope. It is a pure python prototype.
> >

> This isn't the design philosophy that we've used in developing
> DOLFIN. We have developed in C++ (and I think still should) and
> generated the Python interface automatically, and implemented Python
> extensions by hand only when necessary. I don't want to see a
> divergence of the interfaces and advocate that Python 'prototypes'
> should not be part of DOLFIN.
>
> Garth

I think this prototype is too good to be kept as a prototype. We will
move the things that can be moved to C++, but it might not be possible
to move all of it since it relies on automatic differentiation and
auto-generation of the dual problem.

Ideally, we will have something similar to the assemble() interface
which exists in both C++ and Python, but take different arguments.  In
C++, one will need to supply extra forms (for the dual and the error
indicators) to AdaptiveVariationalProblem that are generated by FFC on
the command-line.