Re: linear solvers

On 31/05/10 13:50, Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 01:17:15PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
At the moment, a linear solver is not associated with a particular
matrix. This makes it awkward and dangerous to re-use
preconditioners, factorisations, etc. I suggest that we change the
interface of the linear solver classes to accept a matrix at
construction, and that the solvers maintain a (smart) pointer to the
matrix. Opinions?

It feels awkward to associate a linear solver with a specific system.

Why is that? All our la backends do it. It seems natural to me since solving a linear system involves a number of data structures which are specific to the matrix.

Garth

One option would be to have both Problem and Solver classes for linear
systems.

This is also related to the following blueprint that addresses the
issue of the inconsistency between the interfaces for linear systems
and variational problems:

   https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dolfin/+spec/solver-interfaces