Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 4896: Add simple Stokes solver for parallel testing.

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 09:18 -0700, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Friday August 6 2010 08:55:44 Garth N. Wells wrote:

> > > Does anyone have an overview of what is needed for this to be fixed. I
> > > couldn't find a blueprint on it.
> >
> > Here it is:
> >
> >     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dolfin/+spec/parallel-io
>
> Ok
>
> > > I am interested in getting this fixed :)
> >
> > Me too! We need to look at all the io since much of it is broken in
> > parallel.
>
> Ok, but isn't this two different problems.
>
>   1) Reading in a MeshFunction from a ordinary file into a parallel structur,
>      in line with what we do with the Mesh.
>   2) Storing and reading parallel structures
>
> or are these connected in some way?

Connected since we want to be able to read in a file which is in m parts
when running with n processes. Case one is m = 1, with n arbitrary.

> > We need to settle on how to handle XML data. I favour (and I know Niclas
> > Janson does too) the VTK approach in which we have a 'master file' that
> > points to other XML files which contain portions of the vector/mesh,
> > etc. Process zero can read the 'master file' and then instruct the other
> > processes on which file(s) they should read in.
>
> I guess this goes for case 2?
>
> I am in more need of getting 1) fixed.

If we can settle on a format for the 'master file', we should be able to
care of the lot. A first step can be to make it work when reading just
one file.

Garth